Václav Hollar , known in England as
Wenceslaus and in Germany as Wenzel Hollar, was a Bohemian etcher. He
was born in Prague, and died in London, being buried at St Margaret's
Church, Westminster. Hollar, was a Bohemian exile, in 1636, while
working in Cologne was employed by the Earl of Arundel as
artist-in-residence to make drawings of his extensive art collection.
Some of these drawings are now the only information on the contents of
that impressive collection. In 1642 the Earl of Arundel ( from Wardour
Castle , Wilts) left England for the Continent leaving his wife in
charge in Wiltshire , never to return. The turmoil of the civil war
caused Hollar to move to Antwerp in 1644, where he settled for a few
years. The main quantity of his work was done for Dugdale who paid
between £3 and £5 per etching .W. Hollar,from Sir W. Dugdale, Monasticon
Anglicanum ... (originally published in 3 vols, London, 1655-1673;
enlarged edn, 6 vols in 8 parts, by J. Caley and others,Wenceslas Hollar
(13 July 1607 - 25 March 1677) e. He trained in the workshop of Merian
in Frankfurt, and became one of the foremost engravers of topographical
views in the 17th century. On account of his English connections, Hollar
finally settled in London, and during the Civil War he fought on the
Royalist side. His views of the city of London form an invaluable record
of its appearance before the Great Fire of 1666. He was very prolific
and engraved a wide range of subjects aparts from views and
landscapes.Hollar produced a variety of works; his plates number approx
2740, and include views, portraits, ships, religious subjects, heraldic
subjects, landscapes, and still life in many forms. His architectural
drawings, such as those of Antwerp and Strassburg cathedrals, and his
views of towns, are to scale, but are intended as pictures as well.
ST. KATHERINE'S BY THE TOWER. /Conventualis Ecclesiae Hospitalis S.
Catharinae Juxta Tnrrim London : a Meridie prospectus
Signed and dated in lower 1.: W.
Hollar fecit 1660. Title along the top : Conventualis Ecclesiae
Hospitalis S. Catharinae Juxta Tnrrim London : a Meridie prospectus.
Dedication of the donor of the plate, William Petit, in cartouche
upper r. Page number 4.60 lower r. Occurs folded in Dugdale,
Monasticon, Vol. II. (1661), between pp. 460 and 461. The Royal
Hospital and collegiate church of St. Katherine's, founded by
Eleanor, Queen of Henry II, in 1273, and remaining under the
patronage of the Queen Consort, 1 existed on the same site until
1825. It was then pulled down to make room for St. Katherine's Dock.
The foundation was transferred to Regent's Park, but there are only
a few remains of the old church in the new St. Katherine's (e.g.
part of some of the stalls). . . . .St Katharine's by the Tower -
full name Royal Hospital and Collegiate Church of St. Katharine by
the Tower - was a medieval church and hospital next to the Tower of
London. The establishment was founded in 1148 and demolished in 1825
to build St Katharine Docks, which takes its name from
it. £65 x 2
Capellae Collegii Regalis de Eton ab Aquilone Prospectus. / Eton
Etching with engraving on laid
watermarked paper from Monasticon Anglicanum: or, the History of the
Ancient Abbies, Monasteries, Hospitals, Cathedral and Collegiate
Churches, with their Dependencies, in England and Wales. Hollar had
returned to England in 1652 and begun working for the publisher John
Ogilby and the antiquary Sir William Dugdale. Over the next
twenty-five years he etched no fewer than 566 plates for them. Sir
William Dugdale (1605-1686):English antiquary and friend of Hollar's
patron Thomas Howard, second earl of Arundel, Dugdale compiled one
of the most significant histories of English religious houses, ,
Monasticon, Vol. II. (1661),The text was written by Roger Dodsworth
(1585-1654) He had spent his life in the study of genealogy and
ecclesiastical and monastic history. He was also an indefatigable
collector of manuscripts which are now in the Bodleian Library. . .
(folded) light age toning x 3 £65