Antique prints
Maps
Engravings
heatons antique prints logo background

Architectural 3 .



LOGGAN (David) Oxonia Illustrata, sive Omnium Celeberrimae istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecae Bodleianae, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani; ne non Urbis Totius Scenographia.

LOGGAN (David) Oxonia Illustrata, sive Omnium Celeberrimae istius Universitatis Collegiorum, Aularum, Bibliothecae Bodleianae, Scholarum Publicarum, Theatri Sheldoniani; ne non Urbis Totius Scenographia. Oxford: e Theatro Sheldoniano [actually L. Lichfield]. 1675, entirely engraved on copper, consisting of titlepage, royal privilege, dedication to Charles II, preface, 40 plates (11 topographical, including the fine bird's-eye view of the city, 1 costume, 28 colleges and halls) of perspective views (all of which are double-sheet except Christ Church, which is on three), folio, (438x310mm ) with central fold an American lady disliked one as her copies did not have this . . . it was a giclee' print ie computer copy!.

Loggan is the earliest and best collection of Oxford views although almost contemporary to Guillelimus Williams Kip and the Almanacks. The accurate detail implies considerable time spent on the study of the buildings and on the preparation of the plates. The Oxford views, as the Introduction tells us, had been 'long expected, and begun several years before' [diu expectatum Opus, annis abhinc aliquot susceptum']. Wood refers to the plates as early as 1665, which is the date that Loggan lived at Nuffield in Oxfordshire, and the possible date that he started work on the views. He mentions them again in 1669, when Loggan was able to exhibit many of the plates as finished. Wood clearly expected that the sheets would have been ready in 1674 to be bound with his Historia et Antiquitates, by those that wished it. He both disclaimed responsibility for the captions to the plates in his introduction to the reader, and several times elsewhere referred to them as 'the cuts belonging to my book'. This, and the fact that Loggan's Index refers to Wood, relating the illustration to the place where a history of the building can be found, provides clear evidence of an intention that Wood's history and Loggan's views should appear together. Why they didn't is unclear, because it seems that they were ready. Fell had written, on Jan. 19th, 1674/5, that the plates were 'in a manner quite finished'. It may be that the tensions which had arisen between Fell and Wood over the editing of Historia et Antiquitates hold the key to this puzzle. The plates were not printed at the Sheldonian, but at Leonard Lichfield's house in Holywell, where it is presumed that the rolling press was housed. (Madan.)

Biography David Loggan, (b Danzig [now Gdansk], bapt 27 Aug 1634; d London, bur 1 Aug 1692). British engraver, draughtsman and painter.He married in 1663 and moved two years later to Nuffield, Oxon, to avoid the plague. He was living in Oxford by 1669, when he was appointed 'public sculptor' to the university. He then proceeded to draw and engrave all the Oxford colleges in bird's-eye views for his famous folio Oxonia illustrata , published in 1675, the year that he was made a British citizen. The book appeared in two editions which included :- Engraved title-page, index of plates, privilege leaf, dedication to Charles II, preface leaf, double-page plan of Oxford and 39 copper-engraved views, 1 folding, 38 double-page. The rarer second edition was printed, unusually, on thicker paper,. The plates in the second edition are easily recognised by the addition of a plate number in the bottom right-hand corner. Otherwise they are unchanged from the first edition, and the strength of the impression is indicative of the comparatively small number of copies printed in 1675 That year he once again settled in London, living in Leicester Fields, where he let rooms to aristocratic patrons, notably Sir Thomas Isham, and acted as their agent in the acquisition of works of art. From 1676 he was involved in preparing the folio Cantabrigia illustrata, and in 1690, the year it was published, he was made engraver to Cambridge University.:::All pages show a stock image then will time allowing show the particular copy available for sale. Scans/ digital photo's taken from the base of the print as this is where damage occurs all are full page NOT trimmed or cleaned in any way normally as I try to take a warts and all 1.Frontispicium Scholarum Publicarum Universitatis Oxoniensis (p 23)

All are shown with larger clear pics followed by images of those for sale ulless the mint ones in which case as per large pic

related links

Oxford Town & Gown  Page 1

Oxford Town & Gown Page 2

Oxford Town & Gown  Aquatints + Larger items

Loggan  Oxford Oxonia Illustrata

1.Frontespiece to the Oxford Colleges = (Public Schools) (Frontispicium Scholarum Publicarum Universitatis Oxoniensis)


stock image to show detail

plate 2 Bodleian Library / Frontespicium Scholarium Publicarum;

  Side view of the facade of the Bodleian Library from Oxonia Illustrata 1675, First Edition  Size of image 302 x 411 mm. £180.slight fray to centre fold otherwise perfect


2.Bibliothecae Bodlianae Oxoniae = Duke Humphrey Library in the Bodleian



Sorry none for sale at present


3. Hortus Botanicus; Physic Garden = Botanical Gardens


 stock image not for sale



3. Hortus Botanicus; Phisick Garden = Botanical Gardens
  Centrefold as issued, short tears in bottom Copper engraving Image 420 x 500mm, on a sheet with tiddly borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  98%  Small edge nicks  covered by a mount  £185 posted


4.Collegium Omnium Animarum = All Souls College -Unique to All Souls, all of its members automatically become Fellows (i.e., full members of the College's governing body). It has no undergraduate members, but each year recent graduates of the university and graduates of other universities now registered as postgraduate students at Oxford are eligible to apply for Examination Fellowships through a competitive examination



  Collegium Omnium Animarum; All Souls . . post-graduate and academic research institution founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele in May 1438. stock image

 

Collegium Omnium Animarum; All Souls by David Loggan 1
. post-graduate and academic research institution founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele in May 1438. .23.   Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.  £145 pretty perfect quality to look at . . Minimal age toning to central fold, printers crease in paper slight marking in sky  and in front of the horses Cost includes delivery



Collegium Omnium Animarum; All Souls by David Loggan 2
  post-graduate and academic research institution founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele in May 1438. .23.   Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with minimal borders.  £185 pretty perfect quality to look at . From Oxonia Illustrata rarer second edition as shown by numbers in the plate to the right at base  . On the finer paper indicative of the first few from the plate which is delicate . Hole and marking as indicated base rt corner Cellophane  marking in sky ( sorry cat !)  Cost includes delivery £185

 

Collegium Omnium Animarum; All Souls by David Loggan 3
  post-graduate and academic research institution founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele in May 1438. .23.   Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 99% pretty perfect quality to look at .separation to central fold out of image will be covered by a mount   Cost includes delivery pretty perfect quality to look at .  £195 inc delivery


Collegium Omnium Animarum; All Souls by David Loggan 4
  post-graduate and academic research institution founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele in May 1438. .23.   Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 95% to look at . . Some age toning to central fold,  slight marking to plate mark/edges of the picture creases at the base centre, mark in the sky all would clean out  Cost includes delivery pretty perfect quality to look at . . some slight age tning to central spine £135 inc delivery


Collegium Omnium Animarum; All Souls by David Loggan 5
  post-graduate and academic research institution founded by Henry VI and Henry Chichele in May 1438. .23.   Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 99% pretty perfect quality to look at .light toning to central fold    Cost includes delivery pretty perfect quality to look at .  £135 inc delivery


5.Theatri Sheldoniani = the Inner court of the Sheldonian- The Sheldonian Theatre, located in Oxford, England, was built from 1664 to 1669 after a design by Christopher Wren for the University of Oxford. The building is named after Gilbert Sheldon, chancellor of the University at the time and the project's main financial backer. It is used for music concerts, lectures and University ceremonies.



5.Theatri Sheldoniani = the Inner court of the Sheldonian south prospect 2nd ed which was recut

 

Plate 5. Theatri Sheldoniani / Sheldonian Theatre  Interior by David Loggan Copy  2. £140 . .Condition Separation to central fold to just over  the dedication, some marking in the margin of some age possibly a messy printer full margins. Crease in paper from manufacture top left  otherwise a crisp  well detailed early printing. . . the detail on Wren goes on later strikes


Plate 5. Theatri Sheldoniani / Sheldonian Theatre  Interior by David Loggan Copy  5.

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders. The   view of the front elevation of the Sheldonian Theatre From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675   .Condition 99% perfect . Full margins otherwise very good  £ 365 inc delivery



Plate 5. Theatri Sheldoniani / Sheldonian Theatre  Interior by David Loggan Copy  6.

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders. The   view of the front elevation of the Sheldonian Theatre  from Oxonia Illustrata rarer second edition as shown by numbers in the plate to the right at base or in this case one of the few completely recut/redrawn plates often sold as a variant of the 1st by Americans   . Condition 99% perfect sorry as I wrapped in cellophane which renders any pics a disaster and faintly pink. . . I blame Nikon . Full margins otherwise very good  £ 355 inc delivery



Plate 5. Theatri Sheldoniani / Sheldonian Theatre  Interior by David Loggan Copy  4.

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  £165 . .Condition Age toning to fold area . . ( lit to be visible by eye) to the fold area at the bottom . Abrasion near  Christopher Wren leaving a 3mm x 1 mm white patch.Full margins otherwise very good


Sheldonian 3

Plate 5. Theatri Sheldoniani,  Sheldonian Theatre  Interior,  by David Loggan   copy3
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675 . £140  inc delivery Condition poor reinforcing to the central fold which is toned but would clean  , . Poorer print quality but still a fine old print okay for an office etc



Plate 5. Theatri Sheldoniani  Sheldonian Theatre  Interior by David Loggan   copy1
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675 . £95 Condition Old tired  poor reinforcing to the central fold , toned from white to page . . ( visible by eye) and to the fold area at the bottom . Poorer print quality but still a fine old print okay for an office etc


6.Theatri Sheldoniani = Sheldonian with original Herms (recut in the 1970's) The Sheldonian Theatre, located in Oxford, England, was built from 1664 to 1669 after a design by Christopher Wren for the University of Oxford. The building is named after Gilbert Sheldon, chancellor of the University at the time and the project's main financial backer. It is used for music concerts, lectures and University ceremonies.


none for sale

7.Collegium Orielense= Oriel College



stock image



Collegium Orielense/ Oriel College by David Loggan
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Perfect copy £375 posted


8.Bibliotheca Publica Bodleiana & Scholae sive Auditorium Artium Liberalium ut ad Austrum Spectantur = The Aerial view of the Bodleian Library -he main research library of the University of Oxford, is one of the oldest libraries in Europe. With over 12 million items, it is the second largest library in Britain after the British Library. Under the Legal Deposit Libraries Act 2003 it is one of six legal deposit libraries for works published in the United Kingdom and under Irish Law it is entitled to request a copy of each book published in the Republic of Ireland.


stock image none for sale

9.Scholarum Public. prosp interior; = Public Schools Quadrangle, Oxford University (Scholae Publicae Universitatis Oxon)



Scholarum Public. Universitatis Oxon. . .  the Old Schools Quad of the Bodleian Library,1
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675 Some rippling to the paper needs a press or light iron is really desperate Starting to tone at the page edge but a much larger engraving  £185 inc delivery


Scholarum Public. Universitatis Oxon. . . the Old Schools Quad of the Bodleian Library, 2
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Old repair to bottom right edge of central 'spine' toning and staining from the edge of the base Short margins  £185 inc delivery sorry was in cellophane


Scholarum Public. Universitatis Oxon. . .  the Old Schools Quad of the Bodleian Library,4
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Starting to tone at the page edge and over tha page ie image is no longer white but a much larger engraving  £185 inc delivery



Scholarum Public. Universitatis Oxon. . .  the Old Schools Quad of the Bodleian Library,5
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Starting to tone at the page edge and over tha page ie image is no longer white but a much larger engraving  plus separation at the central fold top and base in  the  £185 inc delivery




Scholarum Public. Universitatis Oxon. . .  the Old Schools Quad of the Bodleian Library,6
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Starting to tone at the central seam would clean I checked  but a much larger engraving  £185 inc delivery

10.Theatri Prospectus Septentrionalis = Sheldonian

11.Collegii Novi . Prospectus interior ad Borem = New College . . inner quad



stock image

 

11.Collegium Novi Prospectus Interior;/ New College Inner Quad
mint copy only @£375
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Perfect copy £375 posted



12 Collegium Aenei Nasi; = Brasenose College- (abbr. BNC), officially The King's Hall and College of Brasenose, is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. It was founded in 1509, with the College library and current chapel added in the mid-seventeenth century. The College's New Quadrangle was completed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, with additional residence areas completed in the 1960s and 1970s.

none at present

13.Scholae theologicae Prospectus interiores; = The Divinity School, Oxford (Scholae Theologica Oxoni)- The Divinity School is a medieval building and room in the Perpendicular style in Oxford, England, part of the University of Oxford. Built between 1427 and 1483, it is the oldest surviving purpose-built building for university use, specifically for lectures, oral exams and discussions on theology. It is no longer used for this purpose, although Oxford does offer degrees in divinity taught by its Faculty of Theology, which is housed at the Theology Faculty Centre, 41 St Giles', Oxford.




 


plate 13 .Scholae theologicae Prospectus interiores; . . Divinity Schools . by David Loggan

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  Perfect copy £375 posted



14.Habitus Academici = Academic Gowns

15.Collegium B. Maria de Winton; = Winchester School (linked to New College, Oxford) (Collegium Bae, Mariae Winton Prope Winton.)- New College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1379 by William of Wykeham, the full name of the college is The Warden and Scholars of St Mary's College of Winchester in Oxford. The name "New College", however, soon came to be used following its completion in 1386 to distinguish it from the older existing college of St. Mary, now known as Oriel College.

16..Collegium Corpus Christi = Corpus Christi College- Corpus Christi College (full name:The President and Scholars of the College of Corpus Christi in the University of Oxford) is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom. Founded in 1517, it is the 12th oldest college in Oxford, with a financial endowment of £112.6m as of 2015. The college, situated on Merton Street between Merton College and Oriel College, is one of the smallest in Oxford by student population, having around 230 undergraduates and 120 graduates.

 

Stock Image


Collegium Corpus Christi/ Corpus Christi College  2

 Antique copper engraved view of Corpus Christi College from Oxonia Illustrata first edition 1675 . Trimmed page as shown otherwise a few blemishes to centre seam page size image 270 x 393 mm £225 inc delivery

17.Aedificium Cantuarienses = Canterbury Quad /Canterbury Quad, St. John's College, Oxford (Aedificium Cantuariense)- This quad is the first example of Italian Renaissance architecture in Oxford. It was substantially commissioned by Archbishop Laud and completed in 1636. The college library is here, consisting of three connected parts: The Old Library (south side, built 1596-8),


 

plate 17 Aedificium Cantuariense s. area nova collegis praedicti;/St Johns College Canterbury Quad 1
Antique copper engraving from Oxonia Illustrata 1675, First Edition  Size of image 302 x 411 mm. £255
 

plate 17 Aedificium Cantuariense s. area nova collegis praedicti;/St Johns College Canterbury Quad
Antique copper engraving from Oxonia Illustrata 1675, First Edition  Size of image 302 x 411 mm. £255


plate 17 Aedificium Cantuariense s. area nova collegis praedicti;/St Johns College Canterbury Quad

Antique copper engraving from Oxonia Illustrata 1675, First Edition  Size of image 302 x 411 mm. £255


18.Collegium jesu;/ = Jesus College- Jesus College (in full: Jesus College in the University of Oxford of Queen Elizabeth's Foundation) is one of the colleges of the University of Oxford in England. It is in the centre of the city, on a site between Turl Street, Ship Street, Cornmarket Street and Market Street. The college was founded by Elizabeth I on 27 June 1571 for the education of clergy, though students now study a broad range of secular subjects. A major driving force behind the establishment of the college was Hugh Price (or Ap Rhys), a churchman from Brecon in Wales. The oldest buildings, in the first quadrangle, date from the 16th and early 17th centuries; a second quadrangle was added between about 1640 and about 1713


 
stock image



18.Collegium jesu;/ Jesus College. by David Loggan

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  99%
Perfect copy £375 posted


19.Collegium Wadhamense; = Wadham College - Wadham College was founded in 1610 by Dorothy Wadham, according to the will of her late husband Nicholas Wadham, a member of an ancient Somerset family. The central buildings, a notable example of Jacobean architecture, were designed by the architect William Arnold and erected between 1610 and 1613. They include a large and ornate Hall. Adjacent to the central buildings are the Wadham Gardens, notable for their collection of trees and one of the largest gardens amongst Oxford colleges.

sorry none at present

20..Collegium Pembrochianum;m = Pembroke College- Pembroke College is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England, located in Pembroke Square. The college was founded in 1624 by King James I of England / VI of Scotland, using in part the endowment of merchant Thomas Tesdale, and was named after William Herbert, 3rd Earl of Pembroke, Lord Chamberlain and then-Chancellor of the University

sorry none at present

21.Aula Beatae Mariae Virginis = St. Mary Hall = (now part of Oriel College), Oxford (Aula Beatae Mariae Virginis)- St Mary Hall was an academic hall of the University of Oxford associated with Oriel College since 1326, but which functioned independently from 1545 to 1902. In 1320, Adam de Brome was appointed rector of the Church of St Mary the Virgin. Along with the appointment, he was given the rectory house, St Mary Hall, on the High Street.  St Mary Hall was acquired by Oriel College in 1326. Bedel Hall, adjoining St Mary's to the south, was given by Bishop Carpenter of Worcester in 1455. These two halls, along with St Martin's Hall, served as annexes for Oriel College.



.Aula Beatae Mariae Virginis /Oriel College, previously St. Mary's Hall

  .

Aula Beatae Mariae Virginis part of magdalen now ?? if not please inform me . £140 pretty perfect quality to look at . . Some offsetting in the sky ie there is a faint impression of the opposite roof edge otherwise impeccable
.

Aula Beatae Mariae Virginis . £140 Some slight muckiness to the central fold otherwsie perfect reinforced to top of fold . . . . From the rarer second edition of the book hence the Roman initial to the right corner

22.Aula St Edmundi = St Edmund Hall - St Edmund Hall (sometimes known as The Hall or affectionately as Teddy Hall) is a constituent college of the University of Oxford in England. The college has a claim to be "the oldest academical society for the education of undergraduates in any university" and is the last surviving medieval hall at the University. The college is located just off Queen's Lane, near the High Street, in central Oxford.

23.Aula Cervina; Hart Hall = (now Hertford College), (Aula Cervina)- Hertford College is a constituent college of the University of Oxford in England. It is located on Catte Street in the centre of Oxford, directly opposite the main gate to the Bodleian Library. The College is known for its iconic bridge, the Bridge of Sighs.




Stock pics showing detail




23. Aula Cervina; Hertford  College  by David Loggan 1
 Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.  Inner view of Hart Hall, now Hertford College, from Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 98% perfect slight crease to centre fold from being in book plus some creasing and an old repaired tear beneath pic shown as it will mount out. All now with new better pics ! .£195 Cost includes delivery This is mounted as on the frailer first pressing paper similar to that used by Hollar makes a superbly detailed print but rather resembles old fashioned toilet paper


23. Aula Cervina; Hertford  College  by David Loggan 2
 Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.  Inner view of Hart Hall, now Hertford College, from Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 95% perfect slight crease to centre fold from being in book plus some age toning beneath pic shown as it will mount out. All now with new better pics ! .£185 Cost includes delivery


23. Aula Cervina; Hertford  College  by David Loggan 3
 Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.  Inner view of Hart Hall, now Hertford College, from Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 98% perfect slight crease to centre fold from being in book plus some age toning beneath pic shown as it will mount out. All now with new better pics ! .£185 Cost includes delivery


23. Aula Cervina; Hertford  College  by David Loggan 4
 Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.  Inner view of Hart Hall, now Hertford College, from Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675.    Condition 98% perfect slight crease to centre fold from being in book plus some age toning beneath pic shown as it will mount out. All now with new better pics ! .£195 Cost includes delivery


23. Aula Cervina; Hertford  College  by David Loggan Faulty
 Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.  Inner view of Hart Hall, now Hertford College, from Oxonia Illustrata rarer second edition as shown by numbers in the plate to the right at base  .    Condition 85% perfect slight crease to centre fold from being in book plus  age toning to fold which will clean I checked with the restorer all as  shown as it will mount less so fine for an offic etc. All now with new better pics ! .£95 Cost includes delivery



24..Aula St Albani ;= now St. Alban's Quad (or "Stubbins")in Merton- St Alban Hall, one of the former halls of the University of Oxford, which occupied part of the site upon which Merton College, Oxford stands. St Alban's Quad was originally St Alban Hall, a medieval student residence that survived as an independent Hall of the University until 1882, when it was incorporated with Merton College. John Henry Newman briefly held the position of vice-principal in 1825. The St Alban Hall buildings were reconstructed by Basil Champneys in 1905-1910.


 

Aula St Albani ; Now part of Merton

 

Aula St Albani ; Now part of Merton pl £110 Some slight age discolouration to the central fold . . . . From the rarer second edition of the book hence the Roman initial to the right corner


Aula St Albani ; Now part of Merton p2
£85 Some slight age discolouration to the central fold .also reinforced at the top . . . Mucky mark from the printer on the lower right will clean
 

plate 24 Aula St Albani ; Now part of Merton £120 Some creasing from the book to the central fold otherwise perfect

25.Collegium Divi Joannis Baptistae; = St Johns College

26.Collegium St Trinitatis; = Trinty College- Trinity College (full name: The College of the Holy and Undivided Trinity in the University of Oxford, of the foundation of Sir Thomas Pope ) is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. The college was founded in 1555 by Sir Thomas Pope, on land previously occupied by Durham College, home to Benedictine monks from Durham Cathedral.

27.Aula Glocestrensis; Worcester College .. at Gloucester Green - Worcester College  is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. The college was founded in 1714 by the benefaction of Sir Thomas Cookes, a Worcestershire baronet, with the college gaining its name from the county of Worcestershire. Its predecessor, Gloucester College, had been an institution of learning on the same site since the late 13th century until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539.

28.Collegium B Mariae Magdalena = Magdalen Hall (now part of Hertford College)- Magdalen Hall was founded in 1448 by William Waynflete, Bishop of Winchester and Lord Chancellor, who later also founded Magdalen College. Its site, to the west of the College – on what is now the College's St Swithun's Buildings – was originally a grammar school with some associated tenements providing residence for students. The first master of the grammar school was appointed in 1480, and its original school building was erected in 1486. However, as the school took independent students as well as those belonging to the College, it quickly became an independent institution under its own Principal. Magdalen Hall was known for its adherence to the teachings of John Wycliffe, and it was here that William Tyndale, translator of the English Bible and martyr, studied. Another famous student of the Hall was the political philosopher Thomas Hobbes, who came up in either 1601 or 1602. At the English Civil War, Magdalen Hall was known as a Puritan Hall under the principalship of Henry Wilkinson. . . ..During John Macbride's principalship it became clear that the growing, energetic Magdalen Hall should be incorporated as a college to match its academic standing in the University. Seeing as the name 'Magdalen College' was already taken, the favoured option was the revival of 'Hertford College'. Macbride was succeeded as Principal by his Vice-Principal Richard Michell in 1868. He brought a bill before Parliament in 1873 for the incorporation of Magdalen Hall as Hertford College.


 
 Magdalen Hall (now part of Hertford College)

 

plate 28 Aula B. Maria Magdalenae; Magdalen Hall (now part of Hertford College) 1.. £120 One Copy perfect slight mark in right margin
 

plate 28 Aula B. Maria Magdalenae; 2.. £120 One Copy perfect slight separation to central spine


plate 28 Aula B. Maria Magdalenae; 3.. £120 One Copy perfect


29.Aula Novi Hospitii New Inn Hall = (now part of St. Peter's College), Oxford (Aula Novi Hospiti)-  There seems to be possible confusion re the Hall  as normally attributed to  part of St. Peter's College but New Inn Hall is also attributed to Balliol at one point either way a hall now demolished making it pretty useless for alumni but a fascinating (cheap) early engraving ew Inn Hall was one of the earliest medieval Halls of the University of Oxford. It was located in New Inn Hall Street, Oxford. The original building on the site was Trellick's Inn for students, which passed on the death in 1360 of its founder Bishop John Trilleck, Bishop of Hereford to William of Wykeham, Bishop of Winchester, and from him to New College in 1392. After being used by Cistercian students for some years from about 1400 to 1420, the hall was entirely rebuilt shortly before 1476 and renamed the New Inn. As the Inns developed into teaching establishments, New Inn Hall became noted for its jurists such as Alberico Gentili, Regius Professor of Civil Law, Sir Daniel Donne, the first MP for Oxford University in Parliament and Dr.John Budden, Regius Professor of Civil Law.During the Civil War, the Hall was used as a mint for melting down the plate donated to the king by the Oxford colleges.Part of the site was used in 1833 by John Cramer, then the principal, to build the Cramer Building as a hostel for undergraduates.

Merger with Balliol CollegeUnder a statute of 1881, New Inn Hall was merged into Balliol College in 1887.[2] Balliol acquired New Inn Hall's admissions and other records for 1831–1887[3] as well as the library of New Inn Hall, which largely contained 18th century law books.[2] New Inn Hall was then used to accommodate students on an Indian Civil Service probationary course.When the site was no longer required by Balliol, it was put up for sale. Most of the site was purchased by the City Council, and the buildings demolished to make room for a new Central School for Girls. The Cramer Building, on the other hand, was eventually sold in 1894 to Francis James Chavasse and W. Talbot Rice (rector of St Peter-le-Bailey), who converted it into a missionary centre known as Hannington Hall. In 1929, it became part of St Peter's Hall (now St Peter's College), a new college founded by Chavasse, by then himself rector of St Peter-le-Bailey (having previously been Bishop of Liverpool).


plate 29 Aula Novi Hospitii . . New Inn Hall (now part of St. Peter's College),



plate 29 Aula Novi Hospitii / New Inn Hall  2
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  £100 post inclusive
 


plate 29 Aula Novi Hospitii / New Inn Hall  3
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata  Rarer second edition by Overton in 1705 plate 29 Aula Novi Hospitii £100 Mint but bad pic  as in cellophane post inclusive


plate 29 Aula Novi Hospitii / New Inn Hall  4
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  plate 29 Aula Novi Hospitii £100 Mint

30.Ecclesia Beatae Mariae Virginis = St Mary's Church- The University Church of St Mary the Virgin (St Mary's or SMV for short) is an Oxford church situated on the north side of the High Street. It is the centre from which the University of Oxford grew and its parish consists almost exclusively of university and college buildings. St Mary's possesses an eccentric baroque porch, designed by Nicholas Stone, facing High Street, and a spire which is claimed by some church historians to be one of the most beautiful in England. Radcliffe Square lies to the north and to the east is Catte Street. The 13th century tower is open to the public for a fee and provides good views across the heart of the historic university city, especially Radcliffe Square, the Radcliffe Camera, Brasenose College and All Souls College.


30.Ecclesia B.St Mary Virginis /St Mary's Church

  30.Ecclesia B.St Mary Virginis /St Mary's Church 3.

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  99%
Perfect copy   £100 perfect quality light browning to bottom edge reinforced centre fold at base

30.Ecclesia B.St Mary Virginis /St Mary's Church . 1.

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  95%
Perfect copy   £140 Edge repair to left edge out of image area . . from the much rarer second editionby Overton in 1705


30.Ecclesia B.St Mary Virginis /St Mary's Church 5.
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  99%
Perfect copy £140 inc delivery


30.Ecclesia B.St Mary Virginis /St Mary's Church 6.

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  99%
Perfect copy  £140 inc delivery


31.Collegium Regense = Queens-The “Hall of the Queen’s Scholars at Oxford” was founded in 1341 by Robert de Eglesfield, a chaplain in the household of Queen Philippa, who named it in her honour. He envisaged an establishment of fellows, chaplains, ‘poor boys’ and various officials and servants, headed by a Provost. Membership was to be open, but with a preference for inhabitants of Cumberland and Westmorland. Initially Queen’s was poor, but the endowment slowly grew. Crucially, in 1343, Philippa secured for Queen’s a small hospital in Southampton with its lands, destined to be the basis of much of the College’s prosperity in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries as Southampton Docks expanded and surrounding farmland was developed. http://www.queens.ox.ac.uk/history

Collegium Reginense . . Queens College

 

Collegium Reginense . . Queens College3.
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with smaller  borders and some softer creases. From Oxonia Illustrata first edition 1675 Perfect copy £275 posted


32.Collegium Corporis Christi = Corpus Christi College

33.Collegium Baliolense = Balliol College- Balliol College , founded in 1263, is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England. Among the college's alumni are three former prime ministers (H. H. Asquith, who once described Balliol men as possessing "the tranquil consciousness of an effortless superiority", Harold Macmillan, and Edward Heath), five Nobel laureates, and a number of literary figures and philosophers. Political economist Adam Smith is perhaps the best known alumnus of the college. Balliol College was founded in about 1263 by John I de Balliol under the guidance of the Bishop of Durham. After his death in 1268, his widow, Dervorguilla of Galloway (their son and grandson both became Kings of Scotland), made arrangements to ensure the permanence of the college in that she provided capital and in 1282 formulated the college statutes, documents that survive to this day. Under a statute of 1881, New Inn Hall was merged into Balliol College in 1887. Balliol acquired New Inn Hall's admissions and other records for 1831–1887[6] as well as the library of New Inn Hall, which largely contained 18th-century law books


 
stock image



Collegium Baliolense,  Balliol College

Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  98%  Perfect copy large chunk of margin missing to the top right would be covered by a mount  £375 posted



35 Collegium Exoniense = Exeter College- Exeter College (in full: The Rector and Scholars of Exeter College in the University of Oxford) is one of the constituent colleges of the University of Oxford in England and the fourth oldest college of the University. The college is located on Turl Street, where it was originally founded in 1314 by Devon-born Walter de Stapledon, Bishop of Exeter, as a school to educate clergymen. From its foundation Exeter was popular with the sons of the Devonshire gentry and has been associated with a number of notable people, including the writer J. R. R. Tolkien.

36.Christ Church./........almost never available at less than mortgage levels as it is the centre triple page and vulnerable to damage  so generally about £1,400 to £2,000 !

37.Collegium Novum = New College, Oxford (courtyard)

38.Collegium Universitatis = University College- University College (in full The Master and Fellows of the College of the Great Hall of the University of Oxford, colloquially referred to as "Univ"), is a constituent college of the University of Oxford in England. It has a claim to being the oldest college of the university, having been founded in 1249 by William of Durham.

Stock Image



38.Collegium Universitatis,  University College
Copper engraving Image 235 x 374 mm, on a sheet with large borders.   From Oxonia Illustrata first edition  1675  98%  Perfect copy two blemishes  to right in margin would either wash out or mount out but shown  Blemish coming through top left in  formal garden. . . lit to accentuate it  £375 posted


39. Collegium Mertonense = Merton College

D. Prospectus Oxoniae Orientalis / Prospectus Oxoniae Meridionalis............almost never available at less than mortgageable levels as above

40.Nova & Accuratissima Celeberrimae Universitatis Civitatisque Oxoniensis Scenographia...........Map . .almost never available at less than mortgageable levels as above A general plan of the city of Oxford from Oxonia Illustrata (1675, First Edition). The plan is oriented with South at top, following the precedent set by Ralph Agas in his 1578 map of the city. A prospect of the city from the East is featured in a scrolled box in the top left corner of the plate.Printed almost to the page edge size of image 415 x 536 mm

Collegium Marie magdalene = Magdalen College

Cambridge . . expensive due to smaller numbers available Sanders in Oxford carry a good range also Hugh Pagan in Londonwe occasionally have them listed on the Cambridge pages






  DELIVERY & PAYMENT Payment is via Paypal if other methods are preferred contact the shop directly we take most cards, cheques etc**Prices are postage inclusive worldwide if over £40