antique prints england
antique engravings england
antique maps england
heatons antique prints logo background

Staffordshire 1.

Staffordshire 1






Staffordshire Map

 Antique copper engraved map by Robert Morden, published by Awnsham between 1695 and 1753. Morden was an accomplished cartographer and the first to show longitudes measured from the meridian of St. Paul's Cathedral. He also added roads, taken from Ogilby's earlier survey to his county maps. Copper engraved map hand coloured, folded as issued. Size 34x41cms/13.5"x16". Mounted, framed unopened  From Camden's Britannia  £115 inc delivery  some creases


Fisherwick
Original aquatint engraving fromt Shaw but the super deluxe version ! Showing the new house from plans of Lancelot Browne, finished in 1774. South east view of an immense building with a central portico supporting a pediment. Along the frieze the MDCCLXXIV. There are stables to the left, and an Orangery in the park to the right. Engraved by F. Jukes after a drawing by Rev. S. Shaw. RARE Antiquities of Staffordshire,' (S. Shaw, 1798-1802,) Vol. I, plate. XXXV. [In the "large paper" edition this print is coloured.] nd [c 1797].ie this is original colour plus full margins Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235.The original Fisherwick Hall only survived for about 50 years - reputedly thanks to the Marquis's passion for gambling and the urgency of his creditors who took everything they could including the stonework to pay for his losses! However, the original coach house escaped their ravages and still stands at Fisherwick Hall the rest is a fishery £155 stupidly rare in this condition



Tamworth Church.

Original aquatint engraving from Shaw but the super deluxe version ! by F. Jukes after an engraving by Rev. S. Shaw. Published in "The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire" by the Rev. Stebbing Shaw. (1798 - 1802)[In the "large paper" edition this print is coloured.] nd [c 1797].ie this is original colour plus full margins Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235 dedicated to Edward Repington.  The church of St. Editha, in Tamworth, is the largest parish church in Staffordshire. Most of the church is mid- to late-14th-century and 15th-century work with some 19th-century additions. The present building stands upon the ground where successive churches have stood since the eighth century. The first church was destroyed, along with the town, by the Danes in 874 and it was not until the time of Ethelfleda that a second church arose. The Danes ruined this church in 943 and it was King Edgar who re-founded it around 963.hence the norman arch doorway
.  £120



Tutbury Church.

Original aquatint engraving from Shaw but the super deluxe version ! by F. Jukes after an engraving by Rev. S. Shaw. Published in "The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire" by the Rev. Stebbing Shaw. (1798 - 1802)[In the "large paper" edition this print is coloured.] nd [c 1797].ie this is original colour plus full margins Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235  Inscribed 'To the Right Honble. Earl of Leicester. This Plate of Tutbury Church is gratefully dedicated by his much obliged humble Servant, Stebbing Shaw.' Shows the west door, which is thought to date from c.1160-70.  £120
 

Drayton Bassett Church

Antique hand tinted copper  line engraving by R.W. Basire after a drawing by Rev. Stebbing Shaw. Published in "The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire" by the Rev. Stebbing Shaw. (1798 - 1802) In the margins are numerous shields of arms. Inscribed 'To S. Egerton Brydgys, Esq this view of Drayton Bassett Church is inscribed by his sincere friend Stebbing Shaw'.  1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £80 perfect full borders inc delivery



North view of the Vernon Monument, [to Sir John Vernon and his wife.]  + Clifton Cumvile Church
Antique copper engraving on rag paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235.£60  inc delivery some light aged toning



Lichfield - Greyfriars + St John's Hospital Lichfield

Antique copper engraving on rag paper with three images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £60  inc delivery some light aged toning


'South West View of Aldridge Church,'
The Old House at Bar (Great Barr Village - Old Tudor House:)
 The engraving showing the south aisle. It has a crenellated roof, which was altered later. Old Tudor House of timber work, standing in a garden. Also showing the coat of arms of Joseph Scott to whom it is inscribed. Inscribed 'To Joseph Scott, Esq. this view of the Old House at Bar, is inscribed by his obliged servant S. Shaw.'Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery



South West View of Drayton Manor
North West View of Drayton Manor
South west view showing a large low rambling building, much of it half-timber, and apparently of various dates principally Tudor, built around a courtyard like a college, with a separate three storeyed 'Banquetting Hall,' on the right. Inscribed 'To Thomas Fisher Esqr. this South West View of Drayton Manor is inscribed by his obliged Servant, S.Shaw.'Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

Inscribed 'Boscobel House, as in 1796.' x 2
Inscribed 'Boscobel House, as in 1796.' View from the south east showing a half-timber work building and chimney, with a `secret' door.
'J.W. Basire, sc.,Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

South West View of Himley Church and Parsonage House
 Showing the church on the right and the house on the left, with cows in a field in the foreground.
[Top section of plate; see SV IV. 329b for lower section.]Whole plate inscribed 'To the Right Honble. Viscount Dudley & Ward, this View of the old house at Himley &c. is inscribed by his obliged humble Servt. S. Shaw.' [After a drawing by S. Shaw.] 'Ravenhill sculp., [engraved].' Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

Views of Bescot Hall
'Back-view of the Old House and Ancient Moat.'Part of plate inscribed 'To Richard Aston Esq., these Views of Bescot Hall are inscribed by his obliged Servant, S. Shaw.' [see SV I.171b.]'T. Donaldson, del., [drawn]; Ravenhill, sculpt., [engraved].' Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

Old House in Wednesbury
Church in Wednesbury
'Old House in Wednesbury.' Showing a Tudor house of two storeys behind a garden wall, with tall brick chimneys and a turret or lantern.
Top half of 'Pl. XIII.''Rev. S. Shaw del., [drawn]; R. W. Basire sc., [engraved].' 'To Mrs Whitby, this South East View of Wednesbury Church. Is inscribed by Her obliged Servant, S. Shaw.' Showing the six-sided chancel with large four-light windows, the south transept and aisle, the top of the clerestory of the nave, and the tower with a spire at the west end. There is a south porch and the roof is crenellated with pinnacles on the buttresses. The wall around the church-yard is also shown. Bottom half of 'Pl. XIII.''Rev. S. Shaw del., [drawn]; R. W. Basire sc., [engraved].' Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

Tettenhall Church
Byshbury Church (Bushbury Church)
'South East View of Tettenhall Church,' before its restoration. Showing a five light east window, the windows of the north and south chapels, the clerestory, the south porch with a room over, and the tower of three stages. There is a hill behind and a part of the graveyard is visible to the right of the church.'Rev. S. Shaw del., [drawn]; R. W. Basire sc., [engraved].' South west view showing the old form of nave roof and the Norman south doorway. Also shows the high roofed chancel. There is a Hall to the right, behind the church.'Rev. S. Shaw, del., [drawn]; R. W. B[asire], sc.,' [engraved] Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

 Old + New Church, Wolverhampton (St. John's Church:)
'New Church, Wolverhampton,' [built 1760]. South west view showing the entrance, the north and south aisles, and the tower and spire. There are urns spaced along the tops of the walls. Anonymous, [drawn by ?S. Shaw].'Basire sc., [engraved].' Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery

Tamworth castle + Moat
'Tamworth.' South view showing the castle from across the river. The church tower is visible behind, there is a large mill on the right, and a bridge on the left.'Vol. IV, pl. 164' [from The Itinerant; see SV X.82a, for similar engraving.]'Engraved by N. Burnwhite from an Original Drawing by G. Samuel; Publish'd Nov. 1, 1798, by J. Walker, No. 16 Rosoman's Street, London.' Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery


Yoxall Church , Hamstal Ridware
'North East View of Yoxal (sic) Church.' Showing a small chancel with one window at the east end, four bays of the north aisle, and a small tower with a clock. The Vicarage house is shown on the left.Anonymous, [drawn by S. Shaw; engraved by R. W. Basire].  One of a plate of two engravings, inscribed 'To the Honble. Mary Leigh these Views of Hamstal Ridware &c. are inscribed by her obliged servant, S. Shaw.' 'N. W. View of Hamstal Ridware.' Showing a north west view of the church and the old Manor House, taken from a field beyond the garden wall. The house has an isolated brick tower which used to flank an ancient hall (now demolished). The rest of the house, to the south, is Tudor. The church has a clerestory and a west tower with a spire.'Rev. S. Shaw, del., [drawn]; R. W. Basire, sc., [engraved].'Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some toning full borders inc delivery


Armitage Park + Church
'The villa of Nath'. Lister, Esqr., at Armitage, Staffordshire.' Showing Armitage canal and Armitage church to the left of the villa.
'E. Stringer del.,' [drawn]Antique copper engraving on laid paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some age toning ( light foxing inside the paper so will need a wash within 5 years) full borders inc delivery



To the Mayor & Corporation, this North West View of Walsall, is inscribed by their obliged Servt., S. Shaw.'
Antique copper engraving on laid paper with the family coat of arms in title. Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £80 perfect full borders inc delivery



view of Sedgley Park in Staffordshire (school)
Antique copper engraving on laid paper with the family coat of arms in title. Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £80 perfect full borders inc delivery

 

To the Right Hon[orable] Visc[oun]t. Dudley & Ward this View of Dudley Castle is inscribed by his Obliged humble Servant, S. Shaw.

Antique copper engraving on laid paper with the family coat of arms in title. Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £70 some marking can clean on request full borders inc delivery

 

. Penn Hall, Staffordshire.
Antique original copper plate engraving by T Donaldson after Paddey.South west view of Penn Hall from fields. Showing the house of red brick with a walled garden and a garden house on the left. There is stabling to the right, and the church tower top. Inscribed 'To Mrs. Ellen Pershouse this S. W. View of Penn Hall, is inscribed by her obliged servant, S. Shaw'. Engraved by T. Donaldson after a drawing by S. Paddow. Family coat of arms in title. Plate XXVII from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798.
Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £80 perfect full borders



District Bank, Hanley. Erected, 1833.'
Showing a Gothic building and other houses/shops in the street. There are people in the street outside the bank, selling their wares.SHOULD BE Inscribed 'To the General Board of Directors and Shareholders of the Manchester and Liverpool District Banking Company this plate is respectfully dedicated Spener Rogers, Robert Johnson and William Smith Esquires, directors of the Hanley Branch. THIS IS LOST ON THIS COPY SORRY Lithograph after a drawing by F.W. Atkinson.Some minor nibbles at the base , fold as issued £45 due to the condition issues



View of Smith-Field /Staffs
An antique line engraving by Neuman after E. Dayes. Published in 1794/5 by Stockdale in London. Engraved by William Newman (fl.1793-1811) from an original study by Edward Dayes ( b London, 6 Aug 1763; d London, May 1804). English painter, draughtsman and printmaker.. Originally produced for John Aikin's "A Description of the Country from Thirty to Forty Miles round Manchester" (London, 1795).Engraved surface 182 x 230mm Mounted £40 delivered



Lichfield
To the right Hon.ble and truly Noble Lord Thomas Viscount Weymouth & Baron of Warminster This 30 Table Shewing the W.N.W. Prospect of the Fair City of Lichfield taken near Units. Well with all dutifull observance is humbly presented by R.P.L.L.D. Tab, XXX. ad Pag.368.
Antique copper engraved by M Burghers. Robert Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £105 inc delivery slight age toning to central fold at base reinforced to back very fine paper . . . larger than the others triple folded



Norbury Manor and Shebdon Pool,

The moated house of Norbury Manor was built by Ralph de Botiller in the early fourteenth century.In 1521 Norbury Manor was sold to a lawyer, Thomas Skrymsher. By 1775 the estate became the property of George Anson of Shugborough. By the early nineteenth century the building was in a dilapidated state and lived in by farm workers. In 1838 the building was demolished and a new house was built further to the south, using stone from the old manor house. The remains of the moat can still be seen approximately half a mile to the east of Norbury village. The lower half of the engraving is of Shebdon Pool, which gradually disappeared as the land was cultivated. The 'peewits' as mentioned in the caption are black-headed gulls, not lapwings. They bred here and were caught for food. According to Plot the pool lay 1/2 mile south-west of Norbury Church.
From ’ [Robert Plot]. ‘M. Burghers, delin. et sculp.,’ [drawn and engraved.] 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £125 inc delivery soft crease to left slight age toning to central fold slight separation to centre fold at base











***


Ingestrie
Antique steel engraved print published 1 Nov 1841  by Harwood, J. & F.: 26 Fenchurch St, London  from Scenery of Great Britain Image size 15.7 by 13cm  in a considerably ; larger full page £10 unmounted



Barton Under Needwood Church + Inscriptions
Antique copper engraving on rag paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £60  inc delivery some light aged toning

An East View of the Cathedral Church and Close of Lichfield, taken from Stow-pool near St. Chad's Church, 1745 + richard Green portrait etc
Antique copper engraving on rag paper with three images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £60  inc delivery some light aged toning

Richard Green emporium/museum/ Altar Piece etc
Antique copper engraving on rag paper with two images to the page as issued Plate from Rev S Shaw's 'History and Antiquities of Staffordshire '. Paper watermarked 1798. Size: 490 x305 mm Plate size: 395 x 235. £60  inc delivery some light aged toning
 

Maple Hayes. From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured including the historic details written by Neale. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. Published, as PROOFS by subscription between 1812 and 1825 in six large volumes printed upon Onion Skin paper then mounted and cased within the larger volume. NOT the later reprints from the same plates which are printed directly onto the paper.£20 Size of Plate : 12 x 16.5 cm Paper size : 24.5 x 30.5 cmunmounted

Proof no history £12


Trentham Hall 1
From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured including the historic details written by Neale. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. Published, as PROOFS by subscription between 1812 and 1825 in six large volumes printed upon Onion Skin paper then mounted and cased within the larger volume. NOT the later reprints from the same plates which are printed directly onto the paper Proof copy foxing to margin £8




Swinnerton hall
From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured including the historic details written by Neale. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. Published, as PROOFS by subscription between 1812 and 1825 in six large volumes printed upon Onion Skin paper then mounted and cased within the larger volume. NOT the later reprints from the same plates which are printed directly onto the paper Proof copy foxing to margin £8



Perspective View of the Ruins of Dudley castle in Staffs.
 Copperplate view from"The COMPLETE ENGLISH TRAVELLER" Published by Nathaniel SPENCER. London. 1771 published by John Cooke, London 1771-3 -200 x 300 mm full plate plate A4 £25


Temple of the Winds Shugborough
from . .The Modern Universal British Traveller; or A New Complete, and Accurate Tour through England, Wales, Scotland, and the Neighbouring Islands.[London: J. Cooke] [1779]. originally produced for the Cooke part-work publication "The Modern Universal British Traveller" (London 1779). £8 Plate mark. Size 27.5 x 17 cms. full page



Armitage Park
 Tinted lithographs, from Burke's "Visitation of Seats", 1853, 5in x 7in £8 unmounted




Shugbororugh Park
Antique steel engraving for .....Neale From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. £8. . 3 copies
also a proof copy light foxing to margins


Tixall
Antique steel engraving for .....Neale From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. £8




Wolseley Hall
Antique steel engraving for .....Neale From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. £8. . 2 copies
£12. . proof copy


Maple Hayes
Antique steel engraving for .....Neale From a series of small steel engravings, uncoloured. Drawn by John Preston Neale and engraved by various artists. £8. .


The County of Staffordshire
by Robert Morden published by Awnsham in 1722 in Camden's Britannia. Morden was an accomplished cartographer and one of the first to show longitudes measured from the meridian of St. Paul's Cathedral and shown in degrees at the bottom of the map and time in minutes at the top as time at this date was measured locally from the sun. Copper engraved map, folded as issued,. Size 42x36.5cms/16.5"x14.25". £135 marks to left would clean out


MAP OF Stafffordshire/Cary

John CARY (c.1754-1835) was based in London. The New and Correct English Atlas, came in various editions between 1787 and 1831, also the Miniature version of his County Maps, The Travellers' Companion, from 1790 to 1828.Size .12.5 x 10 inches. At the end of the eighteenth century, Cary was commissioned by the Postmaster-General to survey of all the principal roads in the country. His method of measurement was to use a 4' wheel connected to a counter, which kept a tally of the number of rotations. £35

   


Bridgenorth
by Robert Creighton, engr. J.& C. Walker for Lewis, Samuel. A Topographical Dictionary of England. Vol. I-IV. London: S. Lewis and Company, 1831 mounted/matted £15


Wenlock
by Robert Creighton, engr. J.& C. Walker for Lewis, Samuel. A Topographical Dictionary of England. Vol. I-IV. London: S. Lewis and Company, 1831 mounted/matted £15




Walsall
by Robert Creighton, engr. J.& C. Walker for Lewis, Samuel. A Topographical Dictionary of England. Vol. I-IV. London: S. Lewis and Company, 1831 mounted/matted £15
Maps all are shown individually pictured ie what you see is what you get NOT a stock photo . Sharp light used where possible to accentuate faults ie looks better in life

 
 
MAP OF Staffordshire FROM THE BEST AUTHORITIES.1805/ 2

A detailed map of the county with publisher's imprint dated 1805. 15 3/4 x 20 1/2 inches. Good condition with wide blank margins. Originally bound on edge so there is no centre fold. From New British Atlas published by John Stockdale, Piccadilly. STOCKDALE, John (publisher) Cary's maps were popular for their accuracy and clear style. The numbers marked on the roads give the distances between towns. Copper engraved map Hand-coloured engraved map (approximately 106 x 120 inches overall) on double-page folio sheets (each sheet measuring 24 x 26 1Î2 inches).The large size allows for a remarkable amount of detail to be shown, with careful identification of parishes, gentlemen's seats, heaths and commons, marshes, navigable canals, dikes, turnpikes, by-roads, tramways, and even Roman walls. All shown on a map drawn to a scale of 1 3/8 inches to 5 miles.In 1805 Stockdale had published the New British Atlas, with 43 maps by John Cary. £40 some repair
x

MAP OF Staffordshire
 FROM THE BEST AUTHORITIES.1805

A detailed map of the county with publisher's imprint dated 1805. 15 3/4 x 20 1/2 inches. Good condition with wide blank margins. Originally bound on edge so there is no centre fold. From New British Atlas published by John Stockdale, Piccadilly. STOCKDALE, John (publisher) Cary's maps were popular for their accuracy and clear style. The numbers marked on the roads give the distances between towns. Copper engraved map Hand-coloured engraved map (approximately 106 x 120 inches overall) on double-page folio sheets (each sheet measuring 24 x 26 1Î2 inches).The large size allows for a remarkable amount of detail to be shown, with careful identification of parishes, gentlemen's seats, heaths and commons, marshes, navigable canals, dikes, turnpikes, by-roads, tramways, and even Roman walls. All shown on a map drawn to a scale of 1 3/8 inches to 5 miles.In 1805 Stockdale had published the New British Atlas, with 43 maps by John Cary.£70


 

Aqualate Hall,
Description: The original Aqualate Hall (pictured) was built for Edwin Skrymsher in the early seventeenth century. Sir John Boughey bought the house in the late eighteenth century and commissioned John Nash to rebuild it in the Gothic style. The building was destroyed by fire in 1910. The new house was built between 1927 and 1930 by W.D. Caroe. An original range of gables by Nash joins the new house to an eighteenth century stable block.
Antique copper engraved by M Burghers. Robert Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £135 inc delivery pretty mint


Chartley Manor House

View showing the inside of the Courtyard of the Hall, which is of timber construction of two stories. There is an elaborate fountain of two stages in the centre.Inscribed to Lord Robert Lord Ferrers of Chartley by R. P. L. L. D.,
Antique copper engraved by M Burghers. Robert Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £135 inc delivery very very slight age toning to central fold at base reinforced to back


Dudley Castle:
East south east view of ruins on a wooded hill. Inscribed 'To the right Hon[orable] EDWARD Lord WARD Baron of BIRMINGHAM Heir apparent of ye Barony of DUDLEY of DUDLEY CASTLE. This 3 Table being the E.S.E. Prospect of the said CASTLE in Testimony of his gratitude is humbly dedicated by R.P.L.L.D.'
Antique copper engraved by M Burghers. Robert Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £95 inc delivery slight age toning to central fold at base reinforced to back very fine paper x 3 available one marked

copy foxing to sky narrow right margin £65 marked


Tixall Hall and Gate-house,

The Aston family from Haywood acquired the Tixall estate through marriage; the hall was rebuilt in 1555. In 1580 Sir Walter Aston added the gate-house.Six years later Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned in the gate-house whilst her apartments at Chartley Castle were searched for evidence of treason.In 1720 the estate passed to the Clifford family, who rebuilt the hall in 1785 using local stone. In about 1835 the Cliffords sold Tixall to the Earl Talbot of Ingestre. Tixall Hall was demolished in 1926, the stone was reused in the building of St. John's Church, Stafford. The stables and gate-house remain; today the gate-house can be hired as a holiday home.
Antique copper engraved by M Burghers. Robert Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £120 inc delivery slight age toning to central fold at base reinforced to back also blemish in wall left of the gatehouse


Prestwood Hall:
Showing a distant view of the house across a wooded and undulating landscape (with Stourton Castle in the distance.) Inscribed 'To the Worspll. the Generous & much esteemed Gent., PHILIP FOLEY of PRESTWOOD Esq., this 9. Table Shewing the N. E. Prospect of Prestwood Hall as a gratefull remembrance of his singular favours is humbly offer'd by R.P.L.L.D.'The Foley family kept Prestwood Hall or House until 1919. It was demolished in the mid 1920s after a fire broke out during alterations. A new hospital building was built on the site of the former house.
Antique copper engraved by M Burghers. Robert Plot, The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £120 inc delivery slight age toning to central fold at base reinforced to back also blemish in wall left of the gatehouse x 2 available the second will be cheaper @ £36 due to a corner / edge tear and a printers crease to the fold
the second will be cheaper @ £36 due to a corner / edge tear and a printers crease to the fold with a discolouration near base


Front of the Towne Hall of Stafford.
Antique copper engraving of the Front of the Town Hall of Stafford. Inscribed "To the Worsp Samuel Sanders of Caldwell in Derbyshire Esq. but Native of Staffordshire. This Table shewing the Front of the Towne Hall of Stafford with all imaginable respect is humble dedicated by R. P. L. L. D. Drawn and engraved by M. Burghers and published by Robert Plot from The Natural History of Staffordshire (Oxford, 1686). 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686.Full page £135 inc delivery perfect
Second copy with a hole to the corner in the margin 2 cm from plate mark from being tipped onto a backing £85


Front of Broughton House, Staffordshire
copper-plate engraving Thomas Broughton esq son and heir of the right worshipful Sir Brian Broughton. . . . as a pledg (sic) of my Gratitude for recevi’d favours is humbly dedicated by , R. P. L. L. D.,’ [Robert Plot]. ‘M. Burghers, delin. et sculp.,’ [drawn and engraved.] 12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686. Full page tinted pics from behind cellophane £95 inc

Lord Digby, Lord Gerard of Gerards Bromley, Same pic but original version £135 inc delivery
CONDITION: small area of paper thinning to central spine only seen when held to light otherwise pretty mint


Lord Digby, Lord Gerard of Gerards Bromley,
Showing a house with seven windows, gables, and four towers and arched gateways, of late Tudor style.
Inscribed 'To the right Honble. and truly Noble Lord DIGBY Lord GERARD of GERARDS Bromley. This 6 table Shewing (sic) the W. N. W. Prospect of his Lordps. Magnificent Seat at BROMLEY with ye deepest sense of gratitude is humbly presented by R. P. L. L. D.,' [Robert Plot].'M. Burghers, delin. et sculp.,' [drawn and engraved.]12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686. Full page tinted Full page tinted pics from behind cellophane £95 inc



Tutbury Castle - Distant View

Showing a distant view of the castle and church from the south east.'To the Worspll. Edward Vernon Esq. Deputy high Steward of the Honor of Tutbury and deputy Lieutenant of the Forrest [sic] of Needwood. This 36 Table Shewing [sic] the S. E. Prospect of TUTBURY CASTLE is gratefully offer'd by R.P.L.L.D.' ,' [drawn and engraved.]12 inches x 9.5 inches.From ‘The Natural History of Staffordshire,’ (Robert Plot, 1686,) Plate II, p.30.Michael Burghers spent the early part of his career employed at Utrecht. On Louis XIV's capture of that city, however, Burghers settled in England, residing primarily in Oxford and frequently employed to engrave plates for the University. One of the 26 views of major houses and buildings in Staffordshire, drawn and engraved by M Burghers, a Dutch artist, for Robert Plot’s / Robert Plott's Natural History of Staffordshire, 1686. Full page tinted Full page small area of loss to one corner from being tipped onto backing £85 inc 99% BETTER THAN IMAGE sorry









related links

Staffordshire  Page 1 inc Maps

Staffordshire Page 2


  


OPENING HOURS . MONDAY, FRIDAY & SATURDAY Appointments at the shop may be arranged by contacting us either by telephone or email.

DELIVERY & PAYMENT Payment is via Paypal if other methods are preferred please contact the shop directly we take most cards, cheques etc

**Prices are postage inclusive worldwide if over £35 Any print will be reserved upon receiving an email and kept for a week to allow a cheque to arrive.